Thursday 28 February 2013

Training: Bodyweight Exercise, A functional Approach.

Afternoon All,

I am going to be going to gym this afternoon. As it is too expensive for me to train at a proper cross-fit gym, I have to make do with a Virgin Active. The worst part is probably not having bumbers to do some Oly lifting with but there is no space and you are forever in some persons way.

It also happens to filled to the brim with meat heads who are just out to get a big set of arms and a massive chest. The saddest thing of all is that they are fooling themselves into thinking that they are exercising and living a healthy lifestyle. Its a pity that these are usually the 'big guys' in the gym and are often looked to for advice because their build is mistaken as a sign of fitness and health. They usually advocate body-building type programs with 4 set, 8 rep structure, people need to understand that these styles of programming are pretty much only beneficial for muscle hypertrophy. They offer very little strength and conditioning aspects which in my opinion are far more important as they are functionally beneficial.

Another clear definition needs to be made. Training for whole body performance, health, fitness and strength is very different to training your body to look muscular and strong. Training to be fit, strong and healthy and using body-building based programming is like building your foundations on beach sand.

Bodyweight exercises are the starting point of fitness because what is the point of moving weights if you cant even move your own bodyweight around. It starts off with basics, like push ups, pull-ups, sit-ups and air squats and gets more challenging as you get to gymnastic styled exercises like handstands, planche's,  muscles-ups and dips. These are functional movements and engage the body's entire kinetic chain. They are used everyday in our lives are essential for us to function.

I have attached a video below put together by the army showing 44 great bodyweight exercises. Everyone should aim to be able to do every exercise here, I know it is my goal!

Complete functional fitness!


 


RSM

1 comment:

  1. I want to use this opportunity to thank this great holy man called Priest Babaka for what he has done for me and my family. This great man has brought happiness and joy back again to me and my family. Priest Babaka has used his great power to help me bring back my husband within the period of 48 hours and also helped me in getting pregnant with his powerful prayers and after 7 days of applying his herbs.This is more than words can say, at first i didn't believe it but today it is so true and all thanks goes to him. i will advice every one out there that has a similar issue, and also any one who is willing to get his or her lover back and any one who wants to get pregnant quick to contact this wonderful man today and forever remain happy in life. email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete